The Gibson-Mack-Holt House was constructed in about 1820 and is one of the oldest tradesman's houses remaining in Bay Shore. In 1985, the Bay Shore Historical Society acquired Dr. Mary Holt’s former c.1820 residence and it became the center of the Society’s activities.
In 1986, the historic house was loaded on a flat bed truck and moved from its original location on East Main Street (just west of Southside Hospital) to its present location at 22 Maple Avenue.
The house was carefully restored over the next five years, with the work being done mostly by the Society’s members.
Formally named the Gibson-Mack-Holt House in honor of some of the families who resided there through its history, the house was dedicated by Msgr. Robert Emmett Fagan and was opened to the public in 1991. The House is staffed by volunteer members of the Society.
Restoring the Gibson-Mack-Holt House
When the House was moved to its current location on Maple Avenue, volunteers spent five years restoring it. The kitchen and parlor were furnished as a tradesman’s house would have been in the mid 1800’s. The remaining rooms on the first floor were designed to be used for permanent and changing exhibits, and the 1820’s Shoppe opened to sell collectable items. The basement was renovated to include a large meeting room for the Society’s activities and to house the Historical Reference Library.
Also moved to Maple Avenue was the original chicken coop that sat in the backyard of the Gibson-Mack-Holt House in its Main Street location. The chicken coop was also restored by volunteers and houses the Tool Museum where the tools used by Bay Shore and Brightwaters residents and craftsmen are currently on display.
On the grounds are a grape arbor, a two-seater outhouse, a shed and a Victorian herb garden which is maintained by volunteers from the Bay Shore Historical Society.